The setupfile for the Power BI Connector can be downloaded under the tab Connectors. Click on the download icon for the specific connector.
Follow the steps below to install the connector:
- Doubleclick on the setupfile.
- Choose the language in which to install the Power BI Connector. (Attention: also the datamodel, the tablenames and fieldnames, are shown in the selected language. It is not possible to change the language of the datamodel in an existing Power BI report afterwards.)
- In the welcome screen click on Next.
- Accept the terms and conditions and click on Next.
- Choose the destination location and click on Next. (This destination location is selected automatically by the setup, usually this is C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors)
- Click on Install.
- Click on Finish.
The Power BI Connector has to be installed on each computer with Power BI Desktop, where the connection with Exact Online will be used.
When you don’t have administrator rights on your PC, the setup can not install the certificates and Power BI Desktop will give a message about ‘uncertified connectors’ on startup. Also the connector isn’t visible under the button Get Data.
You can solve this by running the setup as Administrator. An alternative solution is changing the security level for external connectors (File > Options and settings > Options > Security > choose ‘Allow any extension to load without validation or warning’).